The Muppets, branded as Disney's The Muppets since 2004, are a group of sketch comedy variety puppet characters known for their absurdist, burlesque and self-referential comedy.
Created in 1955 by Jim Henson, they are the namesake for the Walt Disney Company media franchise that encompasses films, television series, music recordings, print publications, and other media associated with The Muppet Show characters. The Muppets were the crux of multiple television series and films including; The Muppet Show (1976-1981), The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981) and The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984). After Henson's death in 1990, The Muppets continued their presence in television and cinema with Muppets Tonight (1996-98), a series continuation of The Muppet Show and three films, The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992), Muppet Treasure Island (1996), Muppets From Space (1999), the former two were co-produced with Disney, who sought to acquire the characters since the late 1980s. In 2004, The Walt Disney Company purchased the rights to The Muppets, and later formed The Muppets Studio, a division created specifically for managing The Muppets franchise.
Disney underwent an extensive re-branding of the franchise beginning in 2008, in anticipation of the seventh film; The Muppets. The film, written by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller and directed by James Bobin, was released by Walt Disney Pictures on November 23, 2011, and met with critical acclaim and commercial success. A semi-sequel, Muppets Most Wanted, was released on March 21, 2014.
- The Electric Mayhem Bus appears as a Power Disc in Disney INFINITY.
- Kermit, Miss Piggy and Animal appear as costumes in Toy Box.
- Some of the Muppets had concept art of them resembling figures in Disney INFINITY, but they haven't been used so far.
- The USS Swinetrek appears as a Power Disc
- Lew Zealand's Boomerang Fish appears as a Power Disc
- Le Maximum appears as a Power Disc
- Gonzo and Fozzie Bear appear as townspeople in the Toy Box.
- For all photos and videos, see The Muppets/Gallery.