|Princess Leia following a Sandcrawler on a Speeder Bike.|
The Sandcrawler is a large, brown vehicle shaped roughly like a giant box with a pointed front. It has a large door on its side that is almost as big as that whole side, which opens upward. It moves using treads.
In Episode IV: A New Hope, when R2-D2 and C-3PO landed on Tatooine, 3PO became frustrated and told R2 to go his own way while he tried to flag down a Sandcrawler in the distance, hoping that it could take him to a "safer" place. Unbeknownst to him, the Sandcrawler was being driven by Jawas, strange and mysterious creatures that scavenge for scrap metal in the desert and then sell it to other creatures. The Jawas kidnaped R2 and 3PO and brought them aboard their Sandcrawler with the other droids they had found. They then took their findings to the home of the Lars family, who found themselves in need of some droids. The family found 3PO immediately to fit their needs, but they at first tried to buy another astro droid other than R2. Fortunately for R2, the droid was defective and broke, so the family bought R2 instead.
Later, Luke Skywalker and the droids, along with Obi-Wan Kenobi, returned to the Jawas' Sandcrawler to find that all of the Jawas had been murdered by the Galactic Empire, who were in relentless pursuit of the droids.
The Sandcrawler appears in the Star Wars: Rise Against the Empire Play Set on Tatooine. It circles around the town of Mos Eisley, much like The Constitution did in The Lone Ranger Play Set. The Sandcrawler can be taken over and commandeered by the player when the player grabs onto a handle on the side of the Vehicle and then stepping on a red button on top of it to eject the driver. This will reveal a green button where the driver used to be, with a green forward-facing arrow on it which, when stepped on, will drive the vehicle forward.
- Even though the Sandcrawler belongs to the Jawas in the films, when the player ejects the driver in the play set, the driver that is ejected is a Tusken Raider.
- The method for taking over the Sandcrawler is nearly identical to the method for taking over an AT-AT.
- Along with this, there will also be a miniature version of the Sandcrawler that will be unlockable for use in Toy Box.
- ↑ http://www.shacknews.com/article/89860/studio-gobos-tom-williams-talks-disney-infinity-rise-against-the-empire-play-set
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVA7d7EG6c